Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Chicken Cakes (Like crab cakes but with chicken!)

So I have been addicted to the Food Network and cooking shows lately. I saw one recently where they made something that looked like a crab cake but was with chicken. So here is what I used and how I cooked these 'chicken cakes':

~ 1.5 pounds of chicken (5 small chicken breasts)
~ 1/2 cup of chopped celery (leave the leafy things on the ends and make sure its chopped really fine)
~1/2 cup of onions
~1/2 cup of chopped peppers. I used a green one but I think a red or yellow one would make them very pretty
~ I didn't add this but think a little jalapeno would be yummy!
-3 eggs
~ 2 cups panko bread crumbs (not to be confused with blinko)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- splash of salt and pepper


I boiled the chicken since it requires less attention than grilling. While the chicken is boiling, I chopped up the celery, onions, and peppers then sauteed them. In a bowl, mix the eggs, Worcestershire sauce, mayonnaise, mustard and salt and pepper. then mix this in with the chicken and vegetables. Add Panko crumbs until it seems thick enough to make into 'cakes'.

Create the mixture into how many ever and whatever size cakes you want.

In a skillet, melt a small amount of butter. Then cook the cakes until they are golden brown on each side.

I made a sauce to dip them in BUT think it would be a lot easier to use a chipotle type mayonnaise or remoulade sauce that is already pre-made.

The sauce you can make involves mixing the following:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
splash of salt and pepper
bigger splash of bayou blast or similar seasoning
1/2 cup sour cream
splash or Worcestershire sauce
2ish tablespoons of Dijon mustard
splash of lemon or lime juice
garlic (I used a whole clove)

No comments:

Post a Comment